Pages

Wednesday 13 July 2016

The Men, Fishing - Street Photography


Hello! Welcome to my little old blog. 

I have been interested in photography since I can remember (arranging toy dinosaurs for a composed series of photographs is my earliest memory of realising the power in taking photographs).

I have also blogged elsewhere, on and off. Mostly off.

But here we are. Anew. 

I wanted to share my love of photography with you (whoever you are) and thought, to begin with, I would post this image.

I took this image in Adelaide, Henley Beach. A while back. 

I really enjoy Street Photography. I enjoy portrait photography, but I do kinda love street images and candid shots. And black and white images do tend to make me feel all kinds of warm and fuzzies. The good kind.

I take great pleasure in seeing others' street work and really like when my own work leads to images like this one.

The men, fishing, are aware I am taking their photograph and you can see their reactions.

I don't ever set out to make people feel ill at ease. I simply like people, am fascinated by their expressions and gestures and want to document what people are doing "in this time and place".

The chap closest to me knew I was snapping and turned away, while the men furthest away are curious as to what I am doing.

It's a candid shot. My preference would be that to make it more natural, they wouldn't have reacted to me being there. Unfortunately, like in ethnographic research, the presence of the observer can alter only too well that which is being observed.

An alternative would be to take the photograph with a zoom lens from a great distance, but that feels wrong somehow...dishonest.

Anyway, let me know your thoughts in the comments!

I'll be sharing more images and so please look out for upcoming posts.

Thanks for popping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment