Pages

Monday 18 July 2016

Confrontation - Street Photography


Not a technically great photograph by any means, I thought I would post this image, again because of it's story.

That's part of the power of photography - story telling and memory keeping.

I thought this man was a really interesting character. He was a large, powerful chap, marching very quickly down the street. Quick, powerful, large and dressed in a suit he looked important.

I wanted to capture that impression.

But what happened next wasn't what I planned for at all.

This man confronted me and wasn't shy about it at all. He demanded to know why I was taking his photograph and without really waiting for the answer demanded that I delete his image as it had been taken illegally without his permission.

I tried in vein to explain that in a public space I can legally photograph people (although I believe Aboriginal people can't be, here in Australia). I also tried to explain that I had taken one image, but every shop and CCTV camera he walked by that day would have taken countless images of him - I was simply more honest about it.

Well, he was a powerful man, one that tried to bully me. I have a fair amount of personal power too, and yes, still have the image. 

The reason I post this image is not to embarrass this man, but to highlight that photographers have rights and a level of protection too - though check in your own country what those rights are.

In Australia, the UK and America, I believe as a general rule, if you are in a public space you can legally take a photograph of anything you see. But there are always exceptions and there will be times when police, for example, might take your camera if it might have an image that can be used as evidence in an investigation.

My message is, do some research and know your rights.

I remember I once took a lady's photograph and she asked me in a firm but pleasant way to delete her image as she wasn't comfortable. I chose to delete the image. It wasn't a big deal. I'd rather not upset people. But that doesn't mean allowing yourself to be bullied or forced to do something you don't want or have to.

When you take a photograph, make an image, it is your property! 

Have you had similar experiences? Or are you worried about a street photographer taking your photograph?

No comments:

Post a Comment