Pages

Friday 15 July 2016

Candid Photography Informing Your Spiritual Journey



I wasn't sure if I should post these images, but in the theme of being authentic and true, to myself and my work, I've decided to share them. And it isn't so much the images, but the story they hold.

I was out shooting candid images and had been trying a new approach. I had read someone's take on street photography, about the spiritual aspect it potentially can have for some photographers and how they can better serve and engage with the community they belong to.

One element of this was approaching the people you were photographing and simply having a conversation. This would be reaching out to a stranger who is only a stranger because you haven't met them yet. Photography has the uncanny capacity to let you gain insight into a person's character and actually speaking with them can help you get a fuller understanding of who they are.

As my confidence was growing in photographing people, I approached these men and explained I was taking candid images and I asked if they felt okay with this. This opened up an interesting dialogue. It turned out they were both from the UK. One lived here, the other was visiting. 

They had been friends since they were children.

Then the conversation turned in a way I never anticipated. The friend had made a visit to Australia because the man living here wasn't well. Indeed, he didn't have much time left.

A lump in my throat, I didn't have a clue what I should say. To be honest I can't remember what I did say. But there we were. It was all too evident how much these life-long friends meant to each other and how difficult life was for them both, in "that time and place".

After some parting words and thanking them for speaking with me, I fired off a few shots of other people, giving these lovely men some space. I then noticed my image below, over-exposed. To me it looked like people walking from Earth to Heaven, into the light. Sounds silly to some maybe, but that's how I saw it and how I still see it. 

The conversation I had was very important to me. 

I have seen all too many videos on youtube of street photographers leaping wildly from person to person, taking (stealing?) images, being almost aggressive and confrontational, snapping away, flashes going off in people's faces...But this conversation reminded and highlighted for me that people are emotional entities with their own story, who should be respected. I don't ask every person I shoot if it is okay. There are many reasons for that. However, I think street photography is at it's best when the subjects are respected as people.

I am thankful to these men for sharing their story with me and for how that has informed my own spiritual journey in a very real way. 

I hope they have both found peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment